Search topics

Financial help

There are a whole raft of benefits and contributions which could be claimed, though some will impinge upon existing benefits you are already receiving, or you may be expected to reimburse any grant via your taxed income in subsequent years, so it is wise to discuss this complex situation with an expert.

Financial assistance for the recently bereaved (with specific reference to the newly widowed)

The most common range of regular available funding comes under the categories of Bereavement Allowance (formerly Widow’s Pension), Bereavement Payment and Funeral Payments.

The government attach several complex conditions to these, and even their own guidance utilises very guarded and cautious introductions : “You might..”,”You may..”,”You could..”, but notwithstanding, Paperweight will do its utmost to ensure you receive what you are entitled to. Here is a summary (with the same cautious tone)…

Bereavement allowance (previously known as Widow’s Pension) may be payable if you’re widowed between 45 and State Pension age – (which in itself is also variable ), You can get it for up to 52 weeks from the date your husband, wife or civil partner died.

You might be able to get a £2,000 Bereavement payment if your husband, wife or civil partner has died. This is a one-off, tax-free, lump-sum payment. There are, as usual several conditions attached and these need to be assessed.

And finally a Funeral payment could be made if you’re on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you’re arranging. How much you get depends on your circumstances and if you qualify. And, you’ll usually have to pay back any money you get from the deceased person’s estate (if they have one), which includes any money or property they had but not a house or personal things left to a widow, widower or surviving civil partner.

We will talk you through everything you need to know

020 8455 4996