Search topics

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a means tested social security benefit in the UK that is intended to help meet housing costs for rented accommodation.

It is normally administered by the local authority in whose area the property being rented lies. In some circumstances, normally council tenants in “out of borough properties”, some claimants may be required to obtain Housing Benefit from the borough that placed them. Private sector benefit claimants receive housing benefit under revised rent restriction rules called Local Housing Allowance. 
You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income. Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances. You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working. You may also be able to get help with your rent if your benefits stop. You may get Housing Benefit if you pay rent, if you’re on a low income or claiming benefits or if your savings are below a certain level – usually £16,000
You can apply if you’re employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit. If you’re single and under 35, you can only get Housing Benefit for bed-sit accommodation or a single room in shared accommodation. 

We will talk you through everything you need to know

020 8455 4996